Sunday, August 21, 2011

Drop Out

Kind of feeding off from another discussion about teenagers, I often think of this: I surely hope my children don't ever want to drop out of high school. I want them to graduate from HIGH SCHOOL-not drop out or get kicked out and end up at a continuation school or only getting their GED. I believe that high school teaches responsibility and dedication, as well as learning to deal with peer issues, understanding punctuality, etc. I am not a fan of continuation school because the state mandates far less work and structure from its students, not to mention many times "problem students" attend because they could not make it work in the regular high school setting. I think allowing your child to drop out of school shows that it is not important to strive to do your best, or it is OK to mess up because there is always something else to fall back on. Am I old-school for the way I think? I think maybe I am uneducated nowadays with how schools work, and maybe it is a lot harder for a teen to truly succeed in high school, resulting in the reasons more kids either do drop out all together, or go the continuation or GED route.

What do you think? Have you had your teens drop out of school? Did you allow it or were they kicked out of regular school? What the reasons they either dropped completely or they decided continuation school was better?

0 comments:

Post a Comment