Saturday, February 11, 2012

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xmod - This device will awe and amaze you


I was looking for an external sound card for use at work (since I don't want to install anything internal) since my onboard sound has a humming background noise effect+probably doesn't deliver the sound quality that I could get from a dedicated sound card. I realized it would be too cumbersome for a full blown external and came onto this device. I think I paid around $60 shipped for it. Worth every penny. Let me elaborate. I run these through a great set of Sennheiser 280 Pros, and previously HD590s. The 3d effect does not do this device any wonders; when you listen through good headphones, you hear high pitched noises since they pick up all the detail. However, the x-fi crystalizer effect is EXCELLENT. Although slightly harsh at times, it does wonders to open up and make music sound "full". Again, if you don't have quality headphones, you aren't going to notice as much. I listened to the same music through one of my co-workers crappy cans and it sounded NOTHING like it did on my audiophile grade phones, and it did appear to make little difference when on or off. Additionally, I hear complete silence when I mute my sound, no static or noise whatsoever so I know I'm getting a good quality signal. So, to that effect, I would say pass on this if you are expecting wonders out of your $15 set of headphones; you will probably be very disappointed. But for those that are serious about getting a very portable improvement to their sound, and have the headphones to back it up, this device will awe and amaze you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment