Sunday, February 12, 2012

Apps from The Weather Channel

a pie must be there on the second tuesday of the chinese new year


Lately the weather here in Indiana has made me paranoid. Every other day severe storms invade and wreak havoc wherever they can. So, I was happy to be able to monitor things via my phone when I couldn't be near my TV or PC. Right. Happy until I found out how fickle the Weather Channel's Windows Phone app is.

The first annoyance with it is how slow it is to load, but really that's not too bad when you consider how slow the radar is. I'd say it takes roughly three to five minutes to put it in motion. If you want to zoom in or out, the motion stops forcing you to press the 'play' button again and wait once more for it to load. If you zoom in too far, or out too far, the picture splits into four squares of the same picture making it hard to figure out where you are in relation to the storms.

In comparison, the other night we were up late in an interior closet while tornadic storms slammed the area. I had my Mom's iPhone with the radar pulled up and, minus the actual satellite delay, I didn't have any problems with the same type of app. I zoomed in and out-no fragmented radar, and when I scrolled back to see what was out West, the radar didn't need to be reloaded, but kept its loop in motion, even updating automatically every seven to ten minutes.

You'd think the same company that dominates the OS market would have a better app than this. Bing vs. Google: Google clearly is superior.

0 comments:

Post a Comment